2019 Back to School Sales - How to Get the Most Savings
The back to school season can be incredibly hectic and frazzling, and it can be tempting to forget about your budget and grab everything you need in the few weeks leading up to the start of the semester. Back to school sales are there for a reason, but if you don't know how to take advantage of them effectively, you're going to end up having a hard time when it comes to shopping. If you use all the back to school deals available, you can end up saving hundreds of dollars without doing much work. Here's how to make those back to school sales work for you.
One of the best ways to take advantage of back to school deals is to have a plan ready to go as soon as the season hits. Make sure you know how you're going to shop for your back to school supplies and map out a plan to do it, so you're not overwhelmed at the last minute. Stores usually start advertising their back to school deals far in advance, so you can determine which stores will have the best savings and plan accordingly.
- Old Navy tends to start having huge clearance sales on jeans starting in mid-August, and it generally continues through September.
- Some of Walmart's best clearance deals happens around the first week of September.
- If your kids need back to school clothes, check out The Children’s Place; its back to school sale of 50% off starts in August.
Buy Everything at Once
Usually, you'll want to group your items into as few purchases as possible. This is especially important if you're buying online because many merchants offer free shipping above a certain amount. By lumping all of your purchases together, you can save time and money.
- At Macy's, you can get free shipping on any order over $100.
- Kohl’s offers free standard shipping when your order is over $75, as well as free in-store pickup every day.
Take Advantage of Other Sales
Seasonal sales happen all the time, and sometimes stores will run impromptu sales that just so happen to coincide closely with the back to school season. Kohl's, for example, is known for having big sales a few times a year, and if a big Kohl's sale happens in June or July, it could be worth it to take advantage of that sale. You might not be in the mood for back to school shopping yet, but keep the concept in mind as soon as school lets out. If you remember that you're going to need something, try to buy it at an early sale, before the back to school rush sets in. Just consider the way your favorite stores structure sales during the summer, and you might be able to get an even better deal.
- General summer sales tend to center on vacation items and swimsuits, but if a company releases a storewide discount, that means you can buy swimsuits and backpacks at the same time for a better price.
- Memorial Day is early in the summer season, and many stores offer high discounts during the celebration, which makes it easy to repurpose those for school supplies.
- Another good summer sale day is the 4th of July, which offers great general summer deals that can be sneakily repurposed.
Look Out for Future Deals
Even if you plan as much as possible for your back to school shopping, you're inevitably going to miss something. Make sure you're looking out for deals that are happening in the future just as much as you're paying attention to sales right now.
One of the best ways to do this is to sign up for various email newsletters. Just sign up for the newsletters that correspond to the type of items you're likely to need. Most stores have email newsletters so you can stay up to date.
- You'll probably need to replenish certain office supplies throughout the year, so sign up for the Office Depot newsletter.
- You'll usually need to add new clothes to your closet at some point; sign up for the Old Navy newsletter for family clothing or the Aeropostale newsletter for young adult fashion.
- Your family will end up needing general items throughout the year, and the Walmart newsletter can let you know about the latest price drops.
Back to school sales are hectic, but it doesn't have to be difficult to find the best back to school deals. Plenty of companies offer sales in the months leading up to the start of the semester, and you can even take advantage of non-school sales to grab school supplies at a reduced price. Check all the merchants you love the most and make sure you're getting the best back to school deals when it comes time to stock up once again.